Put a pork roast in your slow cooker in the morning, and your meal is ready by supper time! This is a great recipe to feed a crowd with.
(1.5 T) salt
(2 T) brown sugar
(2 T) paprika
(1 T) black pepper, ground
(1/2 T) garlic powder
(1 tsp) cayenne pepper
(4-5 lbs) Pork butt roast
(2 cups) apple juice (or water)
(2/3 cup) apple cider vinegar
(2 T) Worchestershire sauce
(1/2 T) liquid smoke
(1 1/4 cups) BBQ sauce
This recipe comes from cookingclassy.com
The pork butt roast is a shoulder roast, and works great for pulled pork, but you can use a different pork roast if you prefer!
- In a small bowl, mix salt, pepper, brown sugar, paprika, garlic powder and cayenne. Place the pork roast in a baking dish and rub with spice mixture. Cover with lid or plastic wrap and put in fridge overnight or for at least 2 hours (I like to leave it overnight).
- Combine apple juice (or water if you don't have juice), apple cider vinegar, Worcestershire and liquid smoke (optional).
- Place roast in slow cooker and pour several tablespoons full of the juice over top then add the rest of the juice on the side of the roast (so the dry rub isn't washed off the top).
- Cover slow cooker and cook on low for 8-10 hours.
- Remove roast, remove bone from roast and shred pork. Strain most of broth from slow cooker. Return pork to slow cooker and mix with bbq sauce (I did not use the full amount it said to - it would be delicious even without bbq sauce). Keep warm until ready to serve or serve immediately.
- Serve in buns with coleslaw if desired.